Are you looking to start mining Bitcoin, but not sure which software to use? In this post, we’ll go over some of the top options available for Bitcoin mining software.
When it comes to mining Bitcoin, it’s important to choose the right software to ensure that you get the most out of your hardware. There are a number of different software options available, each with its own unique features and capabilities. In this post, we’ll take a look at some of the best Bitcoin mining software available and provide an overview of their key features and benefits.
Whether you’re a seasoned miner or just getting started, there’s a Bitcoin mining software that’s right for you. Keep reading to learn more about some of the top options available.
The Best Bitcoin Mining Software
While it all started with just one crypto, Bitcoin, back in 2009, there are now over 14,000 different coins and tokens to choose from, tradeable at more than 400 crypto exchanges. Through all the market upheaval and turbulence of the past decade, yes, many feared the total demise of crypto, Bitcoin has proved its resilience and agility over and over again.
Today it’s still number one. Bitcoin’s market cap represents 43% of the entire industry, with its closest competitor Ethereum at 19%. It’s perhaps safe to say, Bitcoin is here to stay! Bitcoin mining, which has evolved exponentially over the years, is of course the activity that verifies and authenticates all Bitcoin transactions.
Miners compete for the awards, paid in Bitcoin, by racing to complete the required tasks first. They typically employ banks of computers (‘rigs’) for this purpose.
Let’s take a look at some of the most celebrated Bitcoin mining software available in the market.
1. CGMiner – Best for cross-platform hardware compatability
CGMiner is a free, open-source Bitcoin mining software that is widely used among Linux users. It was created in 2011 by Con Kolivas, and has since been maintained and developed by a number of volunteers. CGMiner is written in the C programming language and is compatible with a wide range of mining hardware, including ASICs (Application-Specific Integrated Circuits) and FPGAs (Field-Programmable Gate Arrays).
CGMiner is known for its high performance and low resource usage, as well as its ability to support multiple mining pools and algorithms. It also has a number of advanced features, such as support for remote monitoring and control, as well as automatic detection of new blocks. CGMiner is typically used by more experienced users who are comfortable with the command-line interface and have a good understanding of Bitcoin mining. It is Linux open-source mining software and is available for free on GitHub.
- Cross-platform capability – works on Windows, Mac, Linux, and Windows operating systems
- Compatible with most hardware – ASIC, FPGA, GPU, and CPU.
- Supports multiple mining pools
- Provides detailed statistics on crypto mining work performed
- Independent power distribution feature – makes it possible to find the most profitable combinations between different pools
- Scalable networking scheduler – adjusts to any hash rate without slowing down
- Self-detection of new mining blocks
- Stale work prevention, intelligent failover mechanisms, and during network disruptions, entries are cached
- Remote interface for accessing mining rigs – easy to control settings e.g. fan speeds by using keyboard commands.
However, users of CGMiner have also reported some issues over the years, such as:
- Difficulty with installing on Windows10
- Hassles with antivirus software e.g. Windows Defender
- Lack of a graphical user interface
Although CGMiner is arguably the top option out there, it’s perhaps better suited to more advanced crypto miners. Beginners might find the lack of a graphical user interface daunting while still learning the trade.
2. BFGMiner – Best for highly customizable tweaking
BFGMiner is a free, open-source Bitcoin mining software that is specifically designed for use with FPGA and ASIC hardware. It was created in 2011 by Luke Dashjr, and has since been maintained and developed by a number of volunteers. BFGMiner is written in the C programming language and is compatible with a wide range of mining hardware, including ASICs and FPGAs.
BFGMiner is known for its advanced features and user-friendly interface. It supports multiple mining pools and algorithms, and has automatic detection of new blocks. It also has support for remote monitoring and control, as well as a number of other advanced features that make it a popular choice among experienced miners.
BFGMiner is typically used by more experienced users who are comfortable with the command-line interface and have a good understanding of Bitcoin mining. It is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.
- Highly customizable – processes can be tweaked by the user, e.g. hardware temperature tracking, dynamic clocking, and remote interface capabilities
- Supports “getblocktemplate” decentralized mining protocol (without proxy)
- Features built-in stratum and “getwork” proxy server
- Watchog thread restarts idle threads without crashing!
- Compatible with ASIC and FPGA hardware
- Includes several device drivers for Bitcoin – e.g. Drillbit Thumb and Eight, ZTEX’s FPGA boards, and Twinfury USB stick miner
- Collects and displays helpful stats e.g. efficiency, utility, requests rejects, accepts, and hardware errors
- Work retrieval and work submission handled on separate threads – this promotes speed and efficiency
- Cross-platform app – Mac, Windows, and Linux, even runs on a Raspberry Pi.
- Hashes on several popular mining algorithms concurrently
- It can mine different cryptocurrencies at the same time.
- What users don’t like about BFGMiner:
- It’s not compatible with GPU and CPU hardware
- No GUI – it offers a command-line interface only, making it hard for beginners.
For advanced users who prefer the most options when it comes to tailoring, tweaking, and controlling their mining processes BFGMiner is the go-to solution.
3. MultiMiner – Best for beginners
MultiMiner is a graphical user interface (GUI)-based Bitcoin mining software that is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. It is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use, making it a good option for beginners who are new to Bitcoin mining.
MultiMiner supports a wide range of mining hardware, including ASICs and FPGAs, and allows users to switch between multiple mining pools and algorithms. It also has a number of advanced features, such as automatic detection of new blocks and support for remote monitoring and control.
One of the key benefits of MultiMiner is its ability to detect and configure the mining hardware on your computer automatically, making it easy to get started with mining. It also has a number of helpful tutorials and resources available to help new users get up and running with Bitcoin mining.
Overall, MultiMiner is a powerful and feature-rich Bitcoin mining software that is suitable for both beginners and experienced miners.
- Automated hardware detection – simple plug and play
- Intuitive GUI – no entering of command lines required
- Easy installation process – the software auto-scans the detail that it requires e.g. hashing power and info re the linked pool
- Access to remote mining rigs
- A choice of different mining strategies
- Auto-mining of the most profitable or lowest-difficulty crypto pools
- Displays estimated profits
- Advanced features are also available and can be easily accessed by users should they wish to do so e.g. direct access to engine arguments and API settings
- ASIC, GPU, and CPU compatible.
The only real pain point for users is that they have to download additional software for Linux and Mac. Apart from that MultiMiner is a firm favorite with users that don’t like complicated software. Even advanced users love it!
4. EasyMiner – Best for security
EasyMiner is a graphical, open-source mining software that lets you mine Bitcoin, Litecoin, and other cryptocurrencies. It is a frontend for the mining software cgminer and stratum, and is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.
EasyMiner allows you to start mining cryptocurrencies with minimal setup. It has a simple, intuitive interface that allows you to set up your mining rigs and start mining with just a few clicks. You can also use it to monitor and manage your mining operations, as it provides detailed statistics about your mining activities and hardware.
EasyMiner also has support for various mining pools, so you can easily join a pool and start mining with a group of other miners. This can be a good way to increase your chances of finding a block and earning rewards.
Overall, EasyMiner is a user-friendly mining software that is suitable for both beginner and experienced miners.
- Can be downloaded and used for free
- Great for beginners, especially its ‘Moneymaker’ mode which starts mining right away on EasyMiner’s stratum protocol pool without having to learn first
- Solo mode – for users that want to select their pool to mine
- Open source code – skilled users can adapt it to their heart’s content if they wish to do so
- Easy to navigate – modern GUI control panel with clean lines
- Online community – chat window on-screen – communicate with other users for help and support
- Low on Cpu and Gpu resources – depending only on libcurl and Jansson.
- Live cryptocurrency price feeds
- Comprehensive analytics and real-time statistics – log viewer delivers maximum transparency on mining activities
- Supports ASIC, cgminer, minerd, ccminer, and CUDAminer
- Extra layer of security – the software the Network Hardware ID Layer (NHIL) protocol for its pool stratum and wallet architecture
With so many plus points it’s great that EasyMiner is also available for Mac and Linux users!
5. Awesome Miner – Best for scaling
Awesome Miner is a software application for managing and monitoring mining operations for cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin. It is designed to be user-friendly and can be used by individuals or organizations to monitor and optimize their mining operations.
Awesome Miner features a graphical user interface that allows users to easily view and manage their mining operations, as well as configure and optimize their mining software and hardware. It also provides features for automating the process of mining, such as setting up rules for automatically switching between different mining algorithms or coins based on profitability.
In addition to managing and monitoring mining operations, Awesome Miner also provides tools for monitoring and managing the profitability of mining, including the ability to track the value of different cryptocurrencies and compare them to the cost of electricity and other expenses. It also includes support for a wide range of mining hardware, including ASICs and GPUs, and can be used with various mining pools and mining software.
For users that run a large-scale mining operation, this is the go-to software – it supports up to 50 mining rigs!
- Powerful for large-scale mining – can handle 200,000 ASIC miners and 25,000 GPU/CPU miners!
- Maximizes profit – includes a profit switching feature based on real-time revenue and power consumption
- Minimizes downtime – the software auto-detects mining issues and triggers automatic recovery
- Easy to get started – it sets up all popular mining pools with just a click
- ASIC support – no software installation required on popular ASIC mining devices
- Features optimized Antminer firmware – delivers improved power efficiency and higher performance – 10% higher for Antminer S9 and 40% higher for Antminer S17
- Native overclocking – controls GPUs’ power and fan properties also clock speed and voltage. Supports both AMD and nVidia GPU’s without the need for any external applications!
- Windows and Linux
- Supports more than 50 popular mining software applications
- Flexibility and customization – add and deploy any mining pool, cryptocurrency, algorithm, and custom mining software
- Web interface – access Awesome Miner from any device i.e. pc, smartphone, and tablet
- Multi-user access – assign permissions and limitations for each user individually
- Cloud services – access your mining operations from anywhere in the world and on any device – includes Telegram app notifications
The only thing is that it is not free and not available for Mac OS.
Although Awesome Miner does charge a subscription fee, it is considered extremely reasonable e.g. from $2 per miner for a month.
This platform is purely cloud-based i.e. it allows the user to employ the mining software without the need to invest in rig hardware! Simply use the software to select your favorite settings and it will start mining straight away.
- Network uptime of 100%
- Newest hardware – the latest ASIC miner rigs and GPU cards are being used for the best results
- Daily payout
- Dynamic frequency scaling
- Powersave feature
- Temperature monitoring and auto shutdown when overheating.
- Users can choose from 4 different software plans i.e. Emerald, Topaz, Ruby, and Sapphire.
Yet another cloud-based mining software platform, where, in this case, you rent your miner and use the software to register your selected settings.
With Shamining software, rented miners can be controlled from any device i.e. tablet, smartphone, and pc. The platform supports both GPU miners and ASIC miners.
There’s no need for boring bingo when there’s Blackout Bingo, a fast-paced and competitive bingo game where you can win real money.
That’s all you need per game when you play against real people that match your skill level. Tap the numbers fast and correctly to get bonus points! Play for free for prizes and when you’re ready, switch over to cash games to win real money.
The company is incorporated in the UK and owns three data centers on three continents. It claims to make extensive use of renewable energy sources in its mining operations i.e. wind turbines and solar panels.
The software works on all operating systems. There is no need to download and set it up as it’s cloud-based. It further offers advanced features, an income calculator, and real-time stats.
- Invest online from anywhere
- Control your miners from any device, whether desktop or mobile phone
- Withdraw your money safe and instantly
CryptoTab doubles as both mining software and a browser! While the software earns bitcoin in the background, the user can continue to browse the Web.
It is available for CryptoTab is available for Cloud, Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Android.
This innovative mining-browser combination can be downloaded for free. It employs state-of-the-art Web technology and a unique built-in mining algorithm.
The algorithm performs at high speed and does not slow the host device down.
CryptoTab integrates with Bitcoin, CT VPN, and Google Chrome. It imports settings from Google Chrome, also bookmarks, passwords, and history.
The software’s built-in Cloud. Boost function allows users to increase the mining speed exponentially -up to 15 times higher!- to earn more bitcoin. The increased speed does not harm the device or drain the battery of the device.
Users can set different mining speeds for different devices that operate on the same user account.
CryptoTab software is known to be super fast. It features a user-friendly customizable interface and syncs everything across all the devices employed on a user’s account.
- Security and filters – CryptoTab offers dedicated profiles for multiple users and safely stores your passwords and personal data.
- Tabs and windows – Adjust the UI to your needs: use private tabs and tab groups, drag and pin them anywhere on the screen.
- Address bar – Search the web, add and access bookmarks, send links to your other devices, check websites’ security status—right from the address bar.
A firm favorite with users of the OpenCL framework who want to perform very fast hashing.
The software gives users access to a vast quantity of mining pools. It works on the Mac OS and is suitable for GPU mining hardware. However, after installing ATI Stream SDK 2.1 or the latest Nvidia software, it also runs on Windows and Linux.
DiabloMiner software is available for free. It also offers users the option to perform solo mining or to join a mining group.
The software is compatible with GPU bitcoin mining hardware.
- Fast hashing with OpenCL Framework
- Unlimited mining pools
- Solo or Pool Mining
What Is Bitcoin Mining?
Bitcoin mining is the process of verifying and adding transaction records to the public ledger (called the “blockchain”) of the cryptocurrency Bitcoin.
When a new transaction is made, it is broadcast to the network of computers running Bitcoin software. These computers, also known as “miners,” then compete to verify the transaction by solving a complex mathematical problem. The first miner to solve the problem and validate the transaction gets to add a new block to the blockchain and is rewarded with a certain number of Bitcoins.
The process of mining involves using specialized software to solve the mathematical problems and requires a lot of computer processing power. The difficulty of the problems and the amount of computing power needed to solve them increase over time, so the process of mining becomes more competitive as more people get involved.
In addition to verifying transactions and adding them to the blockchain, Bitcoin miners also help to secure the network by verifying and validating new blocks as they are added to the blockchain. This helps to prevent fraud and ensure that the Bitcoin network remains decentralized and trustworthy.
How To Mine Bitcoin
To mine Bitcoin, you will need:
- A computer with a fast processor and enough memory to store the mining software.
- Bitcoin mining software, such as Bitcoin Miner or CGMiner.
- A Bitcoin wallet to store your earnings.
- A Bitcoin mining pool, which is a network of miners who work together to increase their chances of finding a block.
- A Bitcoin mining calculator, which you can use to estimate your profits based on the current Bitcoin mining difficulty and the price of Bitcoin.
To start mining Bitcoin, you will need to set up a Bitcoin wallet and join a mining pool. Then, you will need to download and install Bitcoin mining software and configure it with your mining pool credentials.
Once you have everything set up, you can start mining Bitcoin by running the mining software and letting it use your computer’s processing power to solve the complex mathematical problems required to validate transactions and add them to the blockchain.
Keep in mind that mining Bitcoin is a very competitive process, and it requires a lot of electricity and a fast processor to be profitable. It may not be practical for most people to set up their own mining operation at home. Instead, many miners choose to join a mining pool, which allows them to work together with other miners to find blocks and share the rewards.
Bitcoin mining software is a program that helps miners solve the complex mathematical problems required to validate transactions and add them to the blockchain. The software helps to connect miners to the Bitcoin network and manage their mining hardware.
Yes, in order to start mining Bitcoin, you will need to download and install Bitcoin mining software. There are several different options available, including Bitcoin Miner and CGMiner.
Some Bitcoin mining software is free to download and use, while others may charge a fee. It’s important to research and compare different options to find the best software for your needs.
Not all computers are well-suited for Bitcoin mining. The process requires a lot of computing power, so you will need a fast processor and enough memory to store the mining software. It’s also important to consider the cost of electricity, as mining Bitcoin can be very energy-intensive.
It is possible to mine Bitcoin on a smartphone, but it is not recommended. The process requires a lot of computing power, and most smartphones do not have the necessary resources to be effective miners. Instead, it is more common to use specialized mining hardware or to join a mining pool, which allows miners to work together and share the rewards.
Best Bitcoin Mining Software Summary
Although new Bitcoin mining software is still being developed and launched every year, four specific products included in the review above – CGMiner, BFGMiner, MultiMiner, and Awesome Miner- have already stood the test of time!
They have so far served users for 35 years collectively. Today they are still widely considered to be the best all-around Bitcoin mining software available anywhere.
However, in recent years the trend seems to be migrating towards cloud mining software. We have covered some examples of such software further above.
The key focus nowadays is to make bitcoin mining available to the masses through easy-to-use software while leaving the complicated, highly technical activities for the skilled and experienced cloud-mining personnel to handle behind the scene.
Cloud mining software typically allows users to gain access to computer processing power by virtually renting a single miner or even an entire mining rig without actually having to fork out thousands for hardware.