Cryptocurrency is powering ahead like never before. Overall market cap exceeded $3 trillion, on November 9, for the first time!
The tide started changing rapidly in recent years with more and more mainstream players feverishly entering the digital assets space, for example, Mastercard, JP Morgan Chase, and of course, Elon Musk, the world’s richest person.
Through all the market upheaval and turbulence of the past decade, yes, many feared the total demise of crypto, Bitcoin has proved its resilience and agility over and over again.
Today it’s still number one. Bitcoin’s market cap represents 43% of the entire industry, with its closest competitor Ethereum at 19%. It’s perhaps safe to say, Bitcoin is here to stay!
Bitcoin mining, which has evolved exponentially over the years, is of course the activity that verifies and authenticates all Bitcoin transactions.
Miners compete for the awards, paid in Bitcoin, by racing to complete the required tasks first. They typically employ banks of computers (‘rigs’) for this purpose.
Let’s take a look at some of the most celebrated Bitcoin mining software available in the market.
CGMiner is one of the pioneers in crypto software. Launched in 2011 it is still a firm favorite of the community, even today!
It is Linux open-source mining software and is available for free on GitHub.
- Cross-platform capability – works on Windows, Mac, Linux, and Windows operating systems
- Compatible with most hardware – ASIC, FPGA, GPU, and CPU.
- Supports multiple mining pools
- Provides detailed statistics on crypto mining work performed
- Independent power distribution feature – makes it possible to find the most profitable combinations between different pools
- Scalable networking scheduler – adjusts to any hash rate without slowing down
- Self-detection of new mining blocks
- Stale work prevention, intelligent failover mechanisms, and during network disruptions, entries are cached
- Remote interface for accessing mining rigs – easy to control settings e.g. fan speeds by using keyboard commands.
However, users of CGMiner have also reported some issues over the years, such as:
- Difficulty with installing on Windows10
- Hassles with antivirus software e.g. Windows Defender
- Lack of a graphical user interface
Although CGMiner is arguably the top option out there, it’s perhaps better suited to more advanced crypto miners. Beginners might find the lack of a graphical user interface daunting while still learning the trade.
This is the software of choice by miners that are hands-on and love to customize their processes. It was released in 2012 and can be downloaded and used for free.
- Highly customizable – processes can be tweaked by the user, e.g. hardware temperature tracking, dynamic clocking, and remote interface capabilities
- Supports “getblocktemplate” decentralized mining protocol (without proxy)
- Features built-in stratum and “getwork” proxy server
- Watchog thread restarts idle threads without crashing!
- Compatible with ASIC and FPGA hardware
- Includes several device drivers for Bitcoin – e.g. Drillbit Thumb and Eight, ZTEX’s FPGA boards, and Twinfury USB stick miner
- Collects and displays helpful stats e.g. efficiency, utility, requests rejects, accepts, and hardware errors
- Work retrieval and work submission handled on separate threads – this promotes speed and efficiency
- Cross-platform app – Mac, Windows, and Linux, even runs on a Raspberry Pi.
- Hashes on several popular mining algorithms concurrently
- It can mine different cryptocurrencies at the same time.
- What users don’t like about BFGMiner:
- It’s not compatible with GPU and CPU hardware
- No GUI – it offers a command-line interface only, making it hard for beginners.
For advanced users who prefer the most options when it comes to tailoring, tweaking, and controlling their mining processes BFGMiner is the go-to solution.
Users with no technical skills prefer MultiMiner. It is easy-to-use software with a graphical user interface (GUI) ideal for the beginner. Free to download and use.
MultiMiner saw its first light of day in 2013 and was developed for use on the Windows operating system. However, after installing additional software, users can also run it on Mac and Linux machines.
It’s regarded as the most user-friendly thanks to several great features.
- Automated hardware detection – simple plug and play
- Intuitive GUI – no entering of command lines required
- Easy installation process – the software auto-scans the detail that it requires e.g. hashing power and info re the linked pool
- Access to remote mining rigs
- A choice of different mining strategies
- Auto-mining of the most profitable or lowest-difficulty crypto pools
- Displays estimated profits
- Advanced features are also available and can be easily accessed by users should they wish to do so e.g. direct access to engine arguments and API settings
- ASIC, GPU, and CPU compatible.
The only real pain point for users is that they have to download additional software for Linux and Mac. Apart from that MultiMiner is a firm favorite with users that don’t like complicated software. Even advanced users love it!
Although this software only works on the Windows operating system, it has a lot to offer.
- Can be downloaded and used for free
- Great for beginners, especially its ‘Moneymaker’ mode which starts mining right away on EasyMiner’s stratum protocol pool without having to learn first
- Solo mode – for users that want to select their pool to mine
- Open source code – skilled users can adapt it to their heart’s content if they wish to do so
- Easy to navigate – modern GUI control panel with clean lines
- Online community – chat window on-screen – communicate with other users for help and support
- Low on Cpu and Gpu resources – depending only on libcurl and Jansson.
- Live cryptocurrency price feeds
- Comprehensive analytics and real-time statistics – log viewer delivers maximum transparency on mining activities
- Supports ASIC, cgminer, minerd, ccminer, and CUDAminer
- Extra layer of security – the software the Network Hardware ID Layer (NHIL) protocol for its pool stratum and wallet architecture
With so many plus points it’s just a pity that EasyMiner is not available for Mac and Linux users!
5. Awesome Miner
For users that run a large-scale mining operation, this is the go-to software – it supports up to 50 mining rigs!
- Powerful for large-scale mining – can handle 200,000 ASIC miners and 25,000 GPU/CPU miners!
- Maximizes profit – includes a profit switching feature based on real-time revenue and power consumption
- Minimizes downtime – the software auto-detects mining issues and triggers automatic recovery
- Easy to get started – it sets up all popular mining pools with just a click
- ASIC support – no software installation required on popular ASIC mining devices
- Features optimized Antminer firmware – delivers improved power efficiency and higher performance – 10% higher for Antminer S9 and 40% higher for Antminer S17
- Native overclocking – controls GPUs’ power and fan properties also clock speed and voltage. Supports both AMD and nVidia GPU’s without the need for any external applications!
- Windows and Linux
- Supports more than 50 popular mining software applications
- Flexibility and customization – add and deploy any mining pool, cryptocurrency, algorithm, and custom mining software
- Web interface – access Awesome Miner from any device i.e. pc, smartphone, and tablet
- Multi-user access – assign permissions and limitations for each user individually
- Cloud services – access your mining operations from anywhere in the world and on any device – includes Telegram app notifications
The only thing is that it is not free and not available for Mac OS.
Although Awesome Miner does charge a subscription fee, it is considered extremely reasonable e.g. from $2 per miner for a month.
This platform is purely cloud-based i.e. it allows the user to employ the mining software without the need to invest in rig hardware! Simply use the software to select your favorite settings and it will start mining straight away.
- Network uptime of 100%
- Newest hardware – the latest ASIC miner rigs and GPU cards are being used for the best results
- Daily payout
- Dynamic frequency scaling
- Powersave feature
- Temperature monitoring and auto shutdown when overheating.
- Users can choose from 4 different software plans i.e. Emerald, Topaz, Ruby, and Sapphire.
Yet another cloud-based mining software platform, where, in this case, you rent your miner and use the software to register your selected settings.
With Shamining software, rented miners can be controlled from any device i.e. tablet, smartphone, and pc. The platform supports both GPU miners and ASIC miners.
The company is incorporated in the UK and owns three data centers on three continents. It claims to make extensive use of renewable energy sources in its mining operations i.e. wind turbines and solar panels.
The software works on all operating systems. There is no need to download and set it up as it’s cloud-based. It further offers advanced features, an income calculator, and real-time stats.
- Invest online from anywhere
- Control your miners from any device, whether desktop or mobile phone
- Withdraw your money safe and instantly
CryptoTab doubles as both mining software and a browser! While the software earns bitcoin in the background, the user can continue to browse the Web.
It is available for CryptoTab is available for Cloud, Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Android.
This innovative mining-browser combination can be downloaded for free. It employs state-of-the-art Web technology and a unique built-in mining algorithm.
The algorithm performs at high speed and does not slow the host device down.
CryptoTab integrates with Bitcoin, CT VPN, and Google Chrome. It imports settings from Google Chrome, also bookmarks, passwords, and history.
The software’s built-in Cloud. Boost function allows users to increase the mining speed exponentially -up to 15 times higher!- to earn more bitcoin. The increased speed does not harm the device or drain the battery of the device.
Users can set different mining speeds for different devices that operate on the same user account.
CryptoTab software is known to be super fast. It features a user-friendly customizable interface and syncs everything across all the devices employed on a user’s account.
- Security and filters – CryptoTab offers dedicated profiles for multiple users and safely stores your passwords and personal data.
- Tabs and windows – Adjust the UI to your needs: use private tabs and tab groups, drag and pin them anywhere on the screen.
- Address bar – Search the web, add and access bookmarks, send links to your other devices, check websites’ security status—right from the address bar.
A firm favorite with users of the OpenCL framework who want to perform very fast hashing.
The software gives users access to a vast quantity of mining pools. It works on the Mac OS and is suitable for GPU mining hardware. However, after installing ATI Stream SDK 2.1 or the latest Nvidia software, it also runs on Windows and Linux.
DiabloMiner software is available for free. It also offers users the option to perform solo mining or to join a mining group.
The software is compatible with GPU bitcoin mining hardware.
- Fast hashing with OpenCL Framework
- Unlimited mining pools
- Solo or Pool Mining
Best Bitcoin Mining Software Summary
Although new Bitcoin mining software is still being developed and launched every year, four specific products included in the review above – CGMiner, BFGMiner, MultiMiner, and Awesome Miner- have already stood the test of time!
They have so far served users for 35 years collectively. Today they are still widely considered to be the best all-around Bitcoin mining software available anywhere.
However, in recent years the trend seems to be migrating towards cloud mining software. We have covered some examples of such software further above.
The key focus nowadays is to make bitcoin mining available to the masses through easy-to-use software while leaving the complicated, highly technical activities for the skilled and experienced cloud-mining personnel to handle behind the scene.
Cloud mining software typically allows users to gain access to computer processing power by virtually renting a single miner or even an entire mining rig without actually having to fork out thousands for hardware.
Sources and references
- Fortune.com – Cryptocurrencies hit market cap of $3 trillion for the first time as Bitcoin and Ether reach record highs
- Investopedia – Best Bitcoin Mining Software
- Software Testing Help – Top 10 BEST Bitcoin Mining Software [2021 RANKINGS]
- The Balance – Best Bitcoin Mining Software
- CGMiner website
- BFGMiner website
- EasyMiner website
- EasyMiner blog
- Awesome Miner website
- BTCminer website
- Shamining website
- SourceForge – Compare the Top Cryptocurrency Mining Software of 2021
- SourceForge – CryptoTab
- CryptoTab website